The Australian Capital Territory Government has created this privacy statement in order to demonstrate our firm commitment to protecting personal privacy. We seek to adhere to the Guidelines for Federal and ACT Government World Wide Websites developed by the Australian Privacy Commissioner. The following discloses our information gathering and dissemination practices for this website. If you have any questions about this privacy statement, the practices of this site, or your dealings with this website, please contact us.
When you browse our web site, our system automatically makes a record of your visit and logs the following information for statistical purposes:
- your server address
- top level domain name (e.g. .com, .net, .gov, .au etc)
- the type of browser and operating system you used
- date and time of your visit
- the previous site visited
- which pages are accessed
- the time spent on individual pages and the site overall
- which files were downloaded.
No attempt will be made to identify individual users or their browsing activities except, in the unlikely event of an investigation, where a law enforcement agency (e.g. Australian Federal Police) exercises a warrant to inspect our service provider's log files. This information is analysed to determine the web site's usage statistics.
We collect no personal information about you unless you choose to take part in an activity that asks for information, such as:
- sending an email
- participating in a survey
- undertaking a payment or other transaction
- suggesting a link.
If you choose not to take part in these kinds of activities your ability to use the website won’t be affected.
Use of personal information collected
Any personal information you provide will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided and will not be disclosed to other people or organisations without your consent. The Internet is an insecure medium and users should be aware that there are inherent risks transmitting information across the Internet. Information submitted unencrypted via email or web forms may be at risk of being intercepted, read or modified. If you do not wish to email or send an online form to the Australian Capital Territory Government, you can send a letter to VisitCanberra, GPO Box 158, Canberra City ACT 2601.
MailChimp and privacy consent
Please note, this statement only relates to subscribers of the e-newsletter.
As MailChimp is based in the United States of America (USA) and the information generated by cookies about your use of the website (including your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by MailChimp on servers located outside Australia, we are required to inform you that by subscribing to our e-newsletter:
- you understand and acknowledge that this service utilises a MailChimp platform, which is located in the United States of America (USA) and relevant legislation of the USA will apply. Accordingly, the Information Privacy Act 2014 (ACT) will not apply; and
- you understand and acknowledge that MailChimp is not subject to the Information Privacy Act 2014 (ACT) and you will not be able to seek redress under the Information Privacy Act 2014 (ACT) but will need to seek redress under the laws of the USA.
This site contains links to external web sites. The Australian Capital Territory Government is not necessarily responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such websites. For more information, refer to our disclaimer statement.
Google will not collect personal information about you and the reports provided by Google to us will only contain aggregate non personal data about your use of this website. (These reports may contain data relating to pages viewed, files downloaded or the completion of online subscriptions). We will use the data collected by Google Analytics to improve how this website functions. For example we can use the data to check whether customers are having problems finding information and make access to information as easy as we can.