10 casual cool eats you need to try
Updated 26 Jul 2022
Want a casual place to grab something delicious to eat and drink?
Look no further than our list of cool eats in the city and Braddon. From brunch to burgers (and dessert) here are 10 places you need to try—if you haven’t already.
A community-minded locavore’s delight. Gather delivers a nutritious menu sourced as close to the café as possible. This includes Sonoma sourdough and coffee beans baked and roasted on the same street and micro herbs from the next suburb of Ainslie. This café promises inner health and environmentally sustainable practices.
Don’t be fooled by the name, this is a buzzy Italian joint (underpinned by French passion) promising hearty fare to eat in or take away, and a casual vibe. Crowds give away how delicious this food is and the fact it is both generously served and generously priced.
A crowd-pleasing and often thumping burger joint with a Brooklyn-style bar and massive beer-garden right opposite the Rainbow Roundabout, Grease Monkey has a very loyal clientele. But if burgers aren’t your thing, there’s always a deep-pan Detroit pizza to keep you satisfied.
The deal with the name and philosophy is that clean, natural and unprocessed food should be eaten 80 percent of the time so that the remaining 20 per cent of food can be a little more cheeky. Either way, the meals at Eighty/Twenty are beautifully presented and leave you feeling refuelled in the best way.
Since arriving in Canberra in 2018, this ice-cream pitstop on Lonsdale Street has become the busiest in the entire Gelato Messina empire. Queues have been known to stretch down the street. Promising outstanding flavour combinations and a gourmet approach to the humble two scoops on a cone, it’s always a fun end to a meal.
One of Canberra’s most popular restaurants, Lazy Su melds the best tastes of Japan, Korea and America in a fast-paced and delightfully kitsch setting.I f you are in the marketfor fusion food like Wagyu Cheesesteak Springrolls or Fried Chicken Ramen, they have you covered.
Tucked in a tiny corner of the Nibu Building, White Chaco packs some Taiwanese and Japanese culinary punch for such a small spot. Popcorn chicken, bao and ramen (try the truffle ramen) are go-tos but the compact menu is exceptional.
Lao-Thai Street Food served up in what is designed to look and feel like a tin shack, Zaab is low on formality and big on energy and flavour, with a menu designed to be shared. Before ordering, take a seat at the long bar to order a cocktail from their inventive list.
If you are after a Scandi-styled café with a big focus on the perfect breakfast or brunch then Rye is for you. Heavy on options including rye bread, knäckebröd, and gravlax, you’re taken far into Nordic culinary territory. There’s also a sun-drenched front terrace perfect for whiling away a few hours with the papers on a weekend.
There’s no doubt vegans are having their moment in the sun, but this little spot has been churning out delicious fare for more than a decade now, attracting a fan base from every culinary religion. Sweet Bones' cakes and sweet treats are moreish while their savoury offerings rely on earthy Mexican flavours.
Keep in touch
Be among the first to discover the latest and greatest things to see and do, taste and try, explore and experience in Canberra by signing up to our newsletter.
About the author
HerCanberra is one of Canberra’s most influential media brands. Since 2011, the website has been a vital resource for local women, providing an essential guide to life in the Canberra region. From what’s on, places to eat and drink, fashion, beauty, health, fitness and more, if it’s part of ‘her’ life you’ll find it on hercanberra.com.au