VisitCanberra is fortunate to have a number of passionate fans and advocates who want to help us spread the word about our wonderful part of the world.
We feature the best photos and videos shared by our fans using #visitcanberra across our website, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram on an ongoing basis. Read on for some examples of the types of content we know work really well on our channels, and some tips on how you can be featured.
We post images from fans and industry throughout the week, focusing on the following pillars:
- Outdoor and adventure
- Arts and culture
- Food and wine
- Family fun
Here's just a few examples:
The types of images that work best on our accounts include:
- Bright colours
- Beautiful Canberra sunrises and sunsets
- Serene landscapes and native animals
Remember, we’re all about promoting Canberra as a destination for visitors, so we’re looking to feature images that speak to the diversity of amazing things to do here. Check out our articles on the most popular Instagram images we’ve shared and most popular spots to take photos in Canberra, you’ll get a good idea for the type of photos we’re looking for.
There are also some things that we won’t post:
- Anything that violates Instagram’s community guidelines or, you know, the law.
- Black and white looks best on the zebras at the National Zoo & Aquarium, but not on our feed.
- Collages – if you’ve got too many great Instagram pics to share, try sharing a post with multiple photos.
- Watermarked images – we will always credit you in our captions, and may contact you for a non-watermarked image if we’re absolutely smitten with your photo or would like more information.
- Anything overtly commercial, including graphics with lots of text, or brand logos.
The more information you give us when sharing a photo or video, the more likely we are to be able to feature you. This type of information can include:
- Specific locations when you’re shooting out in Canberra’s beautiful outdoor spaces.
- Handles for newly-opened attractions, bars and restaurants that you want us to know about.
- The date if something’s only in town for a short period – events, we’re looking at you!
- If you’re a wizard with Photoshop or have done something tricky with overlays and the like – we’ll be impressed, but we’d also like to know so that we don’t stress out any budding photographers thinking that the standard’s been set too high.
- If you’ve written a great blog on Canberra that you think we might be interested in, feel free to message us or tag our page on Facebook, send us a tweet with the link or message us on Instagram.
Here’s some channel specific information that’s good for you to know:
- Upload your photos and videos from your business page to Visit Canberra’s Facebook.
- Seen a post from us or someone on our wall that’s relevant to what you do? Jump in and participate in conversations.
- On Fridays, we post our “Fans take over Facebook” album that includes images we’ve shared throughout the week and more – keep your eye out for it!
- Use #VisitCanberra in your Instagram captions for us to check it out – it also lets us know that you’re a-ok with us reposting! This is the first and best way to get our attention, but we’ll also monitor photos that we’re tagged in or those that use our handle in the caption - just not as often.
- We love great captions that tell a story about your Canberra experience and like to include them along with your photo too, if they’re relevant.
- We think Instagram Stories are a lot of fun. Tag our account with @visitcanberra - we love to interact with you and see your Canberra adventures as they happen. Please note that Stories only last 24 hours, so if you’re posting over the weekend, we might not catch it in time.
- If you’ve got any questions or want to let us know about something you think we’d be interested in, feel free to shoot us a direct message.
- Use @VisitCanberra or #VisitCanberra for any tweets you’d like us to see.
- We like to retweet questions our fans might have – if you’ve got a photo that helps answer or explain something, feel free to share it.
- We curate images to be featured on our website from the #VisitCanberra hashtag.
Stay in the loop
From time to time we like to host Instameets and other events for you social-media-savvy folk. Make sure you’re following our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram as this is where we’ll share the word. Sign up to our newsletter to find out about opportunities that are coming up that may be relevant to you!
If you’re an influencer or a blogger that is looking to come to Canberra, get in touch via our contact form.