St John's Schoolhouse Museum
St John's Schoolhouse was Canberra's first school and school master's residence. It opened in 1845, to provide elementary education for children from the Campbell estate of Duntroon and surrounding farms. Many family names of former pupils can be seen on gravestones in St John's Churchyard.
In 1908 the School was closed, and the building was facing demolition. Fortunately, the historic little building was rescued from this fate, and in 1969 the restored Schoolhouse was re-opened as a museum of Canberra's early history and education. St John's Schoolhouse Museum is proud of its 54-year service to the community as one of Canberra's first museums.
The Schoolhouse displays and early photographs of the district enable visitors to imagine the very different scene of rural Canberra, before it became the Federal Capital.
During the 2023 ACT Heritage Festival the Schoolhouse and St John's Parish will combine to present an all-day program of events on 25 April, starting after the ANZAC Day Dawn Service. The Schoolhouse will have a display, and will offer themed tours in the afternoon, along with an ANZAC biscuit afternoon tea. We will also have a special display on Royal visits to St John's on April 14, when a Tree planting will commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of the late Queen Elizabeth II. (For more details of our planned activities, see the official Heritage Festival program.)
TripAdvisor Traveller RatingBased on 4 reviews
St. john’s is worth a visit for the church alone. add in a great historic schoolhouse and it should be on your to do list. TIP: time visit with opening times of museum by checking websiteRead the full review on TripAdvisor
“Did not go into the museum but into the church. Amazing insight into Canberra history.”
St. John's Church is amazing. Spiritual and historic. Easily overlooked but a visit provides an insight into many phases of Canberra's history. A most rewarding and stimulating visit. recommended.Read the full review on TripAdvisor
“Canberra's First School”
What is now known as St John's Schoolhouse Museum, was Canberra's first school, long before Canberra itself existed. It was built by the landed-pastoralist, Robert Campbell of Duntroon in 1845 as a...Read the full review on TripAdvisor
- Coach Parking
- Family Friendly
- Lawn / Gardens
- Non Smoking
- Public Toilet