National Arboretum Canberra
The National Arboretum Canberra is a mosaic of living forests and gardens offering breathtaking views, unique experiences, and a world-class entertainment and events hub including the award-winning Margaret Whitlam Pavilion, the popular Village Centre and the National Bonsai and Penjing Collection of Australia. With over 44,000 rare and endangered trees across a 250-hectare site, the Arboretum is a place of beauty, conservation, scientific research, education, tourism and recreation.
Enjoy guided bus and walking tours, POD Playground, cafe, restaurant and gift shop, themed gardens and sculptures with some of Canberra's most spectacular views. Feeling active? There are over 20 kilometres of multi-purpose tracks that wind through the forests.
Be sure to check out the website before you visit to help plan your visit or to book into the many upcoming walks, tours and events.
Download the Arboretum’s Augmented Reality app so you can stroll among the forests enjoying unique soundscapes, diverse stories of the trees, and holograms.
COVID restrictions may apply - please visit the website for updated details.
The Village Centre is open from 9 am - 4 pm daily.
The National Arboretum Canberra grounds are open:
7 am - 5.30 pm (Eastern Standard Time)
6 am - 8.30 pm (Daylight Saving Time)
TripAdvisor Traveller RatingBased on 1529 reviews
Recommend by the staff from our motel. We were so glad we went. So much work has gone into this 250 hectares, only 6klms from the city. Open daily and free. Great viewsRead the full review on TripAdvisor
“Beautiful spot, dog friendly”
We travel with a small dog, so finding things you can do with a dog in tow is necessary whenever we go away. It was great to find this spot and know we could walk right throughout the grounds with...Read the full review on TripAdvisor
Some pretty great views here, and visitor center has a couple of interesting displays. One of the better playgrounds I've seen around, too, so kids would enjoy. And it's free, so no reason to not...Read the full review on TripAdvisor
- Conference/Function Facilities
- Enquiry Desk
- Family Friendly
- Food and Refreshments
- Lawn / Gardens
- Non Smoking
- Parents Room
- Pet Friendly - Enquire
- Picnic Area
- Public Toilet
- Shop / Gift Shop
- Welcomes and assists people who have challenges with learning, communication, understanding and behaviour. (includes people with autism, intellectual disability, Down syndrome, acquired brain injury (ABI), dyslexia and dementia)
- Caters for people with sufficient mobility to climb a few steps but who would benefit from fixtures to aid balance. (This includes people using walking frames and mobility aids)
- Caters for people who use a wheelchair.
- Caters for people with high support needs who travel with a support person.
- Caters for people with allergies and intolerances.